Resources for Creators of Digital Entertainment Content and Technology in Utah
Updated May 1st 2021
We're starting to wind down our guidance on this page as it seems like we're heading in a good direction; this may be the last month where we'll even need this special page. We hope it has been useful for you over the past year.
At the time of writing, 25% of Utah's population is fully vaccinated and 41% have had their first shot, but it's not yet time to retire your mask. Utah's statewide mask mandate officially ended last month at the direction of the State legislature, but many places still require face coverings, including many grocery stores and other retailers; public settings throughout Salt Lake City, Moab and Grand County; all K-12 schools through June 15; public university and college campuses; BYU; all federal buildings; most healthcare providers; UTA buses and Trax; SLC International Airport; all Salt Lake County government facilities and all state of Utah government facilities. The recommendation from health experts is to keep following the same guidance as before, because we're not there yet. As Governor Spencer Cox told KSL Newsradio, “I don’t like it. I don’t know anybody that likes it. But it’s a very, very, very small price to pay for keeping people safe. That’s what we’d ask people to do, to be respectful.”
Vaccination is open to anyone over the age of sixteen in Utah, so if you haven't yet signed up for yours, please, as a responsible member of the UDEN community, make it a priority this month. You can find a convenient local location here - https://coronavirus.utah.gov/vaccine-distribution and if you still have any concerns or questions, the link also contains a nifty FAQ.
If you are in need of testing, find out details here: https://coronavirus.utah.gov/utah-covid-19-testing-locations/
Only one of the state's counties are still in the high transmission range, with most having moved down to the moderate range, meaning the 7-day average of people testing positive is between 5 and 10%, the 14-day case rate per 100K people is between 101 and 324, and ICU utilization is between 69 and 72% (with between 6 and 15% specifically COVID related). Find the current state of your county here: https://coronavirus.utah.gov/utahs-health-guidance-system/#map.
State guidance is as follows:
- Practice physical distancing unless you are by yourself or only with members of your same household
- Limit gathering size - the number depends on the transmission range for your county - if high, its 10 people or less; medium its 25 or fewer
- Businesses shall post signage listing COVID-19 symptoms and face mask or physical distancing requirements
- Private businesses may require that all employees and contractors wear masks while at work
- Club sports require symptom and exposure checking of each coach, official, and player/participant before each in person engagement. Individuals experiencing symptoms or currently quarantined due to exposure shall not be permitted to participate until completing quarantine or isolation requirements
- Keep at least 6-feet apart from other people, including at home if possible and especially at social gatherings
- Thoroughly wash hands frequently with soap and hot water
- Feeling sick? Stay home. Don't shop. Don't go to work.
- Co-worker has confirmed case? If you were in close proximity of the worker, you need to quarantine immediately at home and get tested yourself
- More specifics at https://coronavirus.utah.gov/utah-health-guidance-levels/
Thank you for all that you have done to date to play your part! Let's keep it up. Latest news and resources for the state - including latest on directives about re-opening of business - can be found here: https://coronavirus.utah.gov/.
Getting Through This Together
Our thanks to everyone in our community for rallying and supporting in whatever way you have been able!
We are living through a remarkable moment of history, one that, rarely, affects most of the global populous at the same time. It is worrying, but, this too shall pass and at some point we will get back to something approaching the normality we knew a year or so ago!
If there is anything that team UDEN can do to help you through this crisis, please don't hesitate to reach out.
Below are a handful of links* that we hope members of our community will find helpful during this time of crisis. If you have others that you have found to be useful, please add them as a comment, below, or post them on the UDEN blogs here.
Utah Film Commission - local film and TV resources - https://film.utah.gov/blog/covid19-resources/
IGDA - videogame developer resources - https://igda.org/resources/covid-19-resources/
How to transition from working from home to being a remote studio - http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-03-30-how-to-become-a-remote-games-studio
If you want to connect with local people that are in your industry - THINK LOCAL. Check out the Upcoming Events page on the UDEN website and support your fellow industry workers. If you are hosting an event - yes! Even a virtual one - that might be of interest to UDEN members, post it on the upcoming events page - it’s free!
If you are looking for a skilled contractor, whether that be a programmer, artist, producer, VFX editor, sound composer, or anything - HIRE LOCAL. Look at the UDEN Resources Directory of digital entertainment creators in Utah and see if you can find what you need there. It's organized by category to make it easier to find what you are looking for. If you are looking for new clients, make sure to add yourself to this UDEN resources directory. It’s free!
You can make a difference. Together we make the difference.
Until we meet again -- please be safe, stay 6-feet apart, wash your hands, wear a mask, think about others, help others; together we'll get through this and all enjoy the bright tomorrow.
If you want to find out more about UDEN and our mission, see here.
-- THE VOLUNTEERS AT TEAM UDEN
* All links worked at time of publishing. In this fast changing situation these links may have changed. We apologize if you find any broken links or incorrect information. Please let us know. Thank you! **