We reflect on the achievements of the first month of the year including the gathering at Access Salt Lake. Plus a preview of this month's upcoming events.
Can it really be February already? Then again, in some ways I feel like I aged a lot more than a month these past few weeks!
January was quite the month of activity on many fronts, not least in the follow-up to the UCDA Summit way back in December!
- Our good friends at Access Salt Lake hosted a Summit follow-up meeting at Zion’s Bank on January 17th. A lot of great discussion ensued and some action teams were formed to see if we can make progress in specific areas. These included:
- Film & media – Jeff Johnson is leading this initiative
- Games – Jeff Peters volunteered to lead this one
- Infrastructure – Spencer Viernes is leading this team
- Education & workforce – Nick Baguley leads this one
The hope is that these teams can work on initiatives they feel most passionate about and report back to the wider community at the regular UDEN meetings. If you would like to volunteer for any of these teams, please get in contact with us! [email protected]
- It was fantastic to see more than 200 of your smiling faces at UDEN’s Sundance meeting on January 25th. Lots of terrific networking, catching up with old friends, making new ones, discussing latest news and possible collaborations. Many, many thanks to the Utah Film Commission for hosting us at their cool venue on Main Street in Park City, and also to ChAIR Entertainment and Epic Games for providing the scrummy food! We’ll be posting pictures soon!
Feb 18th – 20th DRONE Film Activity
Join the Leonardo for a youth film challenge during President's Day Weekend, part of the Drones and Droids fest. Amateur teams or families are encouraged to compete for a chance to win a prize from the Leo and Spyhop.
- More details: http://utahden.org/48_hour_drone_film_activity
March 3rd – Lightspark Media Summit
Hosted by the S.J. Quinney College of Law at the University of Utah, join digital artists, musicians, directors, producers, actors, businesspeople, students and attorneys for this day-long symposium to explore emerging trends in the ﬁlm, TV and music industries.
Designed to maximize both learning and networking, the Summit is an engaging blend of presentations, interactive panel discussions, performances, live demonstrations, and an unforgettable lunchtime keynote. The day is also infused with the Stewards of Story theme, guiding conversations about what taking responsibility for ethical storytelling means today.
- More details: www.lightspark.media/summit
March 8th – UDEN #13: VR or BUST?
Continuing the discussion and ideas from the UCDA summit, we’ll be exploring the notion that VR could finally give Utah’s creators of content and technology the recognition and financial rewards they have for so long deserved... but only if we all get behind it and work together – film, gaming, education, advertising etc. We’ll have an expert panel to present the pros, cons, steps and implications of such an idea before opening to the floor for discussion and to hear what you think!
Plus – we’ll have a Hive Ignite featuring the Entrepreneur Launch Pad and details of the Aurora Awards, plus an update on what the action teams are doing
- FREE tickets: http://utahden.org/uden_13
Lots of other events coming up that might be of interest to you – we have captured them here: http://utahden.org/upevents. If you know of more, please feel free to add them via that link – its free!
Looking forward to catching up with you soon!
Many thanks for your continued support,