For ages 10-19
Gain skills, make beats, share online
Beat Challenge is a fast-paced electronic music production program that will give you the opportunity to connect with other youth musicians, create electronic music, and discuss your creations with professional musicians and mentors in a safe online environment.
Beat Challenge meets exclusively online. In this class, you will first meet on a Zoom call for introductions and short instruction from two mentors. You will also sign up for a free, private server (Discord) to use for on-going conversation and to share your music with your peers.
Using a provided free pack of sample sounds you will have two hours to create an original beat using only those samples. You can use whatever music production software you have on hand, or you can download a free version of Ableton Live. Mentors will be available for online chats and tips as needed while you make your music. After two hours of working independently, your group will reconvene using Zoom to share the music you’ve created and vote on beats. Whoever wins the challenge will give the group a short walk-through of the process they went through to create their music. You can then utilize the server to continue to collaborate and share ideas with one another. This class will encourage creativity, follow-through, and community-based music production.
What Happens in this Class:
- Expand your beatmaking abilities using software.
- Connect with a community of musicians online.
- Learn production techniques on industry standard software currently used by professionals in the music industry.
- Increase your efficiency when making music.
What You Will Need For This Class
- Some form of beatmaking software. Ableton Live – Trial is free for 90 days – get it here: https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/
- Internet connection
- Discord username and password